Student Program



If you’ve just received your Class A CDL or could use more experience on the road, Maverick Transportation student driving opportunities provide the training you need to become a top-earning professional driver. Our innovative student program offers paid Business Unit Training in flatbed, glass, marine and dedicated divisions. You’ll work with the best instructors and the safest equipment in the industry to get your new career in gear!

No other student program in the industry comes close to the pay package we offer.

Pay and Benefits
  • Starting Pay $.55–$.58 per mile (depending on division)
  • $.02 per mile pay increase at 3 mos, $.02 per mile pay increase at 6 mos
  • Weekly Minimum Guarantee Pay* (once solo)
  • Addt'l $.01 per mile Pay for Performance Bonus Introductory/New Hire Rate
  • Annual Pay Increases up to 5 years
  • $750 PRE (Pre-Employment Evaluation Pay) with travel, lodging, breakfast and lunch provided
  • $700 per week Business Unit Training Pay
  • $400 Graduation Pay (paid out on first dispatch)
  • $1,000-$2,000 Driver Referral Bonus
    • Based upon experience of hired driver
    • Drivers who are considered a rehire are not eligible for the referral bonus payout
  • Tuition Reimbursement
  • GI Bill™ OJT approved!
  • Great Home Time!
  • Flatbed and Glass openings (dependent on hiring area)
  • Paid Weigh Station Bypass & Tolls
  • Pay for Performance Bonus Program (up to $.06 per mile bonus)
  • Paid Vacation
  • Modern, well-maintained equipment
  • Passenger Authorization Program
  • 401(k) Retirement Plan + match
  • Health/Dental Insurance & Rx card
  • Paid Life Insurance Policy
  • Per Diem
  • CDL Sponsorship Program Available

*Weekly Guarantee Pay - Flatbed and Glass OTR Divisions

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to be a Maverick driver?

You must be at least 21 years old and live within the hiring area. Your driving record and hiring criteria must match up with Maverick's requirements and will be evaluated when you apply with us.

What is the best way to fill out an application?

You have several options. You can apply directly online, download an application by clicking on the printable application link or call us at 800-289-1100 and a recruiter can mail, email or fax you an application. 

How long is the training for the student program?

If you have less than six months of over the road experience, you will have to go through approximately 6 weeks of training. After one week of paid PRE (Pre-Employment Evaluation) is completed, you will begin required Business Unit Training in Little Rock (up to two weeks, depending on division) and then you will be out with an instructor for the remaining training period. 

How does the application process work?

When you submit your application, it will be evaluated and we will contact you to review your application and begin processing. We will then order your background reports and verify past employment. Once this process is complete, we will send your application to our hiring committee for final approval.

What is your policy on traffic tickets and criminal background?

At Maverick we have our own point system we use to evaluate your Motor Vehicle Report. We also have a policy regarding criminal convictions and evaluate each applicant on a case-by-case basis.

Can my significant other ride with me? What about animals?

Maverick's passenger authorization program allows one rider at a time, 13 years of age & older and is no cost to you. We do not allow animals in our trucks.

When can I get medical benefits and how much do they cost?

Medical benefits are available to you the first day of the month following 60 days of employment. For example, if you are hired on May 21st, then your insurance will be effective August 1st. The weekly cost for medical coverage is:

  • $47.25= Single
  • $134.00 = Family
  • $114.50 = Employee + Spouse only
  • $114.50 = Employee + Children only

Other benefits include: dental, vision, 401(k) + match, employer paid company life insurance, additional voluntary life options, disability insurance, employer paid employee assistance program, paid vacation time, section 125 cafeteria plan, and credit union membership.

Do I need a Hazmat endorsement?

No, Maverick only requires a Class A CDL issued in the state that you reside in.

What speed are your trucks set at?

Maverick trucks are set at 65 miles per hour.

Where are your facilities located?

Maverick's home office is located in Little Rock, AR. We have facilities in Portage, IN; Madison, IL; Green Bay, WI; Laurinburg, NC; Fort Smith, AR; Church Hill, TN and Burkburnett, TX.

Where will my training take place?

Maverick's training facility is located in North Little Rock, AR.

Will I get to take my truck home with me?

Yes, on home time you can take the tractor home with you.

What if I don't have my CDL?

We currently offer a CDL Sponsorship program. Maverick will cover your housing and tuition. In addition, your breakfast and lunch is covered during PRE (pre-employment evaluation) and CDL school. We will also provide you with a pre-paid card to assist with additional meal expenses while in school. Start your driving career with the best!

How do I find a driving school to get my Class A CDL?

The Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA) and the National Association of Publicly Funded Truck Driving Schools (NAPFTDS) are the two largest trade associations representing the interests of truck driving schools, students, motor carriers, and the businesses that depend on their services. Click to locate accredited and state licensed CDL Training schools through the CVTA and NAPFTDS.